What are flies?
Flies are a type of winged insect, but instead of having two pairs of wings like most insects, they only have one pair of wings. With only one pair of wings, flies cannot fly long distances and are continually landing and taking off from different surfaces.
Believe it or not, flies do play an important part in the ecosystem. They act as food for many fish and other predators, their larvae feed on parasites, and flies feed on and reduce decaying organic matter. However, flies that take up residence on our properties lose their importance and become annoying and dangerous pests.
Examples of flies that often become a problem in Massachusetts homes and businesses are dr ain flies, fruit flies, house flies, phorid flies, sewer flies, moth flies, and fungus flies.
Are flies dangerous?
Let’s face it, flies are annoying, but that is not the only reason we don’t want these pests buzzing around our homes. Flies carry and spread diseases and parasites that make people ill. Feeding on decaying organic matter puts them into direct contact with bacteria and other disease-causing pathogens. As they land on surfaces, dishes, utensils, and food, they contaminate them with bacteria that makes us ill.
Why do I have a fly problem?
Flies breed very quickly when environmental conditions are right. Most flies can both breed and feed outside and inside our structures. Flies living outside in our yards often wind up inside our homes. They move in by following us through doors and through open windows, vents, and gaps around windows and doors. Flies have short lifespans, but because of their prolific breeding habits, they can take over properties and quickly become a source of frustration.
Where will I find flies?
Flies are attracted to water sources and decaying organic material to both feed and lay their eggs on. Some favorite breeding and feeding sites include:
- Trash cans and recycling bins
- Pet waste
- Damp soil
- Decaying leaves, wood, other vegetation
- Debris in clogged sinks and drains
Since breeding and feeding sites vary depending on the species, it is important that you correctly identify the type of flies on your property so proper steps can be taken to eliminate them. If flies are congregating around your property, reach out to Assurance Pest Solutions for help!
How do I get rid of flies?
Flies don’t belong in Massachusetts homes or businesses. At Assurance Pest Solutions, we offer prompt and reliable pest solutions to eliminate these pests from properties quickly. With over 41 years of experience in the industry, we know how to find, treat, and solve fly problems.
Our locally owned and operated company understands our area’s unique pest pressures and how to provide home and business owners with long-term solutions. To learn more about working with our knowledgeable staff to rid your property of flies, reach out to Assurance Pest Solutions today!
How can I prevent flies in the future?
If you live in Waltham, Newton, Needham, or surrounding areas, Assurance Pest Solutions can help you maintain a property that is free of flies. In addition to our pest control solutions, the following tips will help you prevent fly problems:
- Place all trash into sealed containers until trash day.
- Store outdoor trash cans away from the outside walls of your home.
- Make sure when purchasing indoor trash cans that they have lids.
- If you own pets, make sure to pick up pet waste from your yard daily.
- Keep screens in open windows and doors and covers over vents.
- Keep drains clean and free of debris.
- Never leave fruits or vegetables out on counters; always place them in the fridge.
- Inspect produce for signs of fruit flies before purchasing them or bringing them in from the garden.
- Don’t overwater gardens, and make sure your yard has good drainage.
- Clean up any dead flies you find so they don’t attract and become snacks for other pests.
Get Started Today!
Complete the form below to schedule your services.