What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs are a prolific pest that have the potential to find their way into any Massachusetts home or business. Bed bugs are insects that feed on the blood of their host-with people being their favorite host. Though we are the bed bug’s favorite host, they will also feed on the blood of other warm-blooded hosts like our pets, wild animals, and birds.
Bed bugs have a flat, oval-shaped body that is reddish-brown. Short antennae, six legs, and a proboscis (an elongated, piercing mouthpart) are other physical features that help to identify a bed bug. If a bed bug has recently fed, its appearance will change slightly; the body swells and elongates and turns a much darker, deeper red.
Are bed bugs dangerous?
The spread of disease by bed bugs is currently not a huge concern, but having bed bugs in our homes feeding on our blood while we sleep is a concern. When people are allergic to the bed bug’s saliva, an itchy rash will develop, and excessive itching may lead to a secondary infection. The response to a bed bug bite ranges from no physical reaction to an itchy rash to a severe allergic reaction that affects a person’s ability to breathe.
Loss of sleep is also regularly associated with a bed bug infestation. The presence of bed bugs makes it impossible for anyone to sleep soundly.
Why do I have a bed bug problem?
Bed bugs are running rampant throughout the country, and Massachusetts is no exception. Bed bugs can travel long distances with people; in fact, the ease and affordability of travel have allowed populations of these pests to flourish. Their flat, dark-colored body allow bed bugs to easily hide. Bed bugs are introduced into homes and businesses by people or on things like used furniture or mattresses.
Where will I find bed bugs?
Wherever people gather, there is the potential for bed bugs to be present. They move from place to place by hitchhiking on people and our belongings. Feeding at night while we are sleeping, it can take some time before we notice these insects.
Listed below are some of the bed bug’s favorite hiding spots. Knowing where bed bugs like to hide will allow you to regularly inspect those areas and get help for an infestation before it grows to epic proportions:
- Seams of mattresses, box springs, and upholstered furniture.
- Rugs or the folds of curtains
- Under clothing or linens stored in drawers or boxes
- Electrical outlets, electronics, and appliances
- Under loose wallpaper and behind wall hangings (clocks and pictures)
- Cracks in walls, ceilings, behind baseboards, and between floorboards
- Underneath piles of clutter like piles of dirty laundry
How do I get rid of bed bugs?
At the first sign of bed bugs in your Massachusetts home, immediately contact the local experts at Assurance Pest Solutions. We understand bed bug behavior and know how to eliminate them. With a complete inspection, installation of monitoring devices, and three treatments performed three weeks apart, our professionals will ensure bed bugs will no longer be biting you or your family. For more information about our effective bed bug treatment options, give us a call today!
How can I prevent bed bugs in the future?
If you live in Waltham, Newton, Needham, or surrounding areas, Assurance Pest Solutions can help you maintain a property free of bed bugs. In addition to our pest control solutions, the following tips will help you prevent bed bugs problems:
- When traveling, always inspect new sleeping areas for signs of bed bugs.
- Before packing or unpacking while traveling, inspect your suitcases for bed bugs.
- After returning home from traveling, immediately wash and dry all clothing taken on the highest heat setting the fabrics can handle.
- Regularly vacuum your home and upholstered furniture and change the bedding to get rid of stray bed bugs.
- Don’t allow dirty laundry to pile up on the floor of your home.
- Keep drawers and closets free of clutter.
- When traveling or spending time in a public place, keep your personal belongings up off the ground as much as possible.
Get Started Today!
Complete the form below to schedule your services.